[WriteLog] LPT Keying / Windows 2000 using UserPort

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] LPT Keying / Windows 2000 using UserPort
From: A. Sewell N5NA" <n5na@arrl.net (A. Sewell N5NA)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 18:45:42 -0500
Please excuse me if this has been posted previously.  If it has I must have
missed it.

I downloaded a small program today called UserPort which makes it possible
to access the hardware I/O ports directly under Windows NT/2000/XP just like
95/98/ME.  I installed it on my work notebook which runs Windows 2000 and
loaded Writelog to see if I could key thru the CW port.

After about 5 minutes of tinkering I got it to key my rig thru the CW port.
I haven't tested it extensively to see if there are any side effects but so
far it looks good.

It is very simple to install and set up.  Just follow the documentation that
comes with it.  The only thing I had to do was go into Control
Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager and check the resources the LPT port
was using.  Mine was 03BC - 03BF and 07BC - 07BE.

I then ran the UserPort program and set it to use 3BC - 3BF.

Voila, it started keying!

UserPort is free and can be downloaded at

http://www.embeddedtronics.com/design&ideas.html

It is supposed to work with XP so I would be interested to hear any reports.
I've been reluctant to upgrade from Windows 98 to XP because I didn't want
to lose my LPT port keying.

73,

Alan  N5NA