[WriteLog] Gen info - CW Decoder vs Rttyrite CW Receiver

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Gen info - CW Decoder vs Rttyrite CW Receiver
From: wa9als@starband.net (wa9als)
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 12:46:15 -0500
> Interesting posting - I too have been experimenting with the CW decoder
this
> weekend (during WAE), perhaps if you have a moment you could explain some
of
> the settings?  There must be <many> on the reflector who are as confused
as
> I am - my excuse is, not having the programme that long to play about with
!
> Sure beats CT though ;-)
>
> How are the CW filters configured, and how did you appear to "separate"
the
> deoder screen from the actual text, i.e. your screen shot shows two
"boxes".

Hi - My knowlege results from about 3 hyrs of trial and error the hard way!
HI  It still tricks me sometimes, like last night!

I'm not exactly sure which "separation" you're referring to, but I'll give
it a shot.

There are 2 ways to do CW with WriteLog:

1.  CW Decoder - Choosing Window|CW Display from the WL main menu results in
the "CW Display (Left)" window that you see in my screenshot.  This is the
one that decodes several signals simultaneously in the passband.

2.  Rttyrite CW Receiver - You get this by right-clicking in the ENTRY area
and choosing "RTTY View".  This should bring up 2 things:  1) The Rttyrite
window where the text prints, and 2) The "WriteLog CW Receiver".  This is
the window with a spectrum scope with a yellow line in the middle and a few
settings options.  If you use this option, calls are highlighted, dupe
checked, and you can click them or use the INS key to put them into the
ENTRY area and send an exchange - just like working RTTY!  It works
extremely well for machine-sent CW, but not so hot if someone's using a hand
key.

The HELP file says that you cannot use both of the above techniques at the
same time - BUT YOU CAN!  This might have changed in some later versions of
WL, I'm not sure.

Concerning separation - If you are asking about the CW Decoder ("CW Display
(Left)") in my screenshot (http://www.qsl.net/wa9als/wlcw.gif) I suspect
yours is "docked" with your main logging window?  This is a frequent
question - Most of the WL windows can be docked with the main logger by
dragging them onto the logging window.  However, you can UNdock them in one
of two ways:

1.  If you move your mouse pointer to just inside the edge of the docked
window of interest, it will turn to a "+" with a black rectangle to the
lower right.  You can then left-click and drag that window off the main
logger and put it where you like.

2.  You can also do the above, but instead of dragging, just double click
when you get the "+".  This will "pop it out" so that it's not docked, and
then you move it where you want!

CW Filters - The CW Decoder tries to decode 6 "channels" - Freqs that are
separated by 70 Hz, starting with the LOWEST pitch that you enter at the
bottom of each column.  When you enter a new number in that bottom-most
column, nothing appears to change above it at first.  However, if you close
that window by clicking OK, and then REopen it, you will see that the black
numbers above the number you entered at the bottom have all spaced out by 70
Hz each from the bottom number!  (NOTE that this has nothing to do with the
Rttyrite CW Receiver!  That -center- frequency is set from the ini file
entries):

[CW-DECODER]
MinCwIndex=25
MaxCwIndex=6
Channels=2
lowpitch_right=550
lowpitch_left=550

Thus with the settings above, the Rttyrite CW Receiver opens with a center
pitch of 550.  Mine is set to stereo.  Although I'm only using 1 radio at
the moment, I can't get it to work with the MONO setting.  I suspect this
has to do with the way my input to the soundcard is wired.

As always, consult the WL HELP file regularly as well as www.k9jy.com and
www.aa5au.com (RTTY)

Hope this helps someone!  73 - John
John - WA9ALS - VP5RY (2001)