Fw: [WriteLog] Request for additional functionality - CW numeric abbrevi

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: [WriteLog] Request for additional functionality - CW numeric abbreviations
From: bob@cytanet.com.cy (Bob Henderson)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:13:09 -0000
Come on George do us all a favour and pay attention to what is written
before diving for the keyboard to disagree!

You know as well as I do:-

Very few operators in a CW contest will send 599 in full, the majority send
5NN.  Very few people send 001 in full, the vast majority send TT1.  The
vast majority have long accepted the benefit of using these cut numbers and
have done so because it is quicker and easier and is anyway, what everyone
expects.  This is the way it has been for as long as I can remember.  Of
course, if an individual operator prefers to send 599 001 in full then that
should be his prerogative.  I am not suggesting the means to do this be
removed from Writelog.  I do not want operator choice limiting, I want it
extending.

Given that T for zero and N for nine are in common usage I would like
Writelog to be able to send T8N for 089; TNT  for 090; etc.  I have used cut
numbers in this way as have countless others in CW contests for more than 30
years and I have done so using straight keys, mechanical bugs and el bugs.
Why for goodness sake should this be a taboo when using a computer.  It's
just plain nonsense!

73

Bob 5B4AGN, P3F, ZC4ZM