[WriteLog] strange problem with WriteLog on Windows 2000

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] strange problem with WriteLog on Windows 2000
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 21:47:35 -0400
David,

I'm running WL 10.34B here under the latest W2K and it works fine. I trust
your COM1 is a built-in motherboard port and not an add-on card or USB port.
If that's not the case, let us know.

The problems you describe sound an awful lot like what happens when two
programs try to use the same COM port and interfere with each other -- i.e.,
one program sets a mode on the port that's not expected by the other, data
intended for one winds up going to the other because interrupts get
redirected, etc. You mentioned that Palm Pilot HotSync works OK with COM1.
Does HotSync appear in the system tray when you are running WL? If so, then
it may be accessing the port. If HotSync is running, right-click on the icon
and select Exit. If that doesn't help WL to run, then temporarily remove the
HotSync manager from the Startup folder (under Start... Programs), reboot
and try WL.

73, Dick WC1M