[WriteLog] CW and network

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] CW and network
From: jbastin@sssnet.com (John E Bastin, K8AJS)
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 23:48:05 -0400
At 7:41 +0500 8/31/02, Nodir Tursoon-Zadeh wrote:

>I have two problems with writelog:
>
>1. When I installed USB to Comm adaptor CW messages are not generated
>properly any more. It is broken CW.

This seems to be the nature of the beast (USB to serial conversion)
I'm connecting to my radio through a USB adapter. With the first
version of WriteLog I purchased, somewhere around 10.22 or 10.25, my
laptop would send not perfect, but passable CW. Every version since
then, the CW has been unusable.

It may not be WriteLog, I'm always adding and subtracting things so
it may be that there are just too many interrupts and demands on the
CPU to expect perfectly timed CW. Anyway, others have told me that
good CW through USB isn't possible, and my experience seems to bear
that out.

Right now I'm using WriteLog for logging and frequency control, and
using the keyer memories in the FT1000MP for CW messages.

I'm thinking that the W5XD keyer may be the solution to the problem,
but I'm still going to be interfacing through the USB adapter. Is
anyone using this setup and can comment whether it successfully
cleans up the CW from the computer?

   _
  /~\ The ASCII        | J o h n   B a s t i n           K 8 A J S
  \ / Ribbon Campaign  | jbastin@sssnet.com         K8AJS@arrl.net
   X  Against HTML     |        http://www.qsl.net/k8ajs
  / \ Email!           |