[WriteLog] Goodbye Writelog

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Goodbye Writelog
From: jeflanders@comcast.net (Jerry Flanders)
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 00:03:17 +0000
I think if the built-in RTTY decoder had MMTTY's display feature fewer of
us would opt for MMTTY  as a plug-in. I will vote for the MMTTY waterfall
every time! Also the upper humped display (or whatever it is called) looks
smoother and easier to interpret in MMTTY.

I am seriously thinking of going back to a hardware modem. I still have a
couple of ST-6s and PK-232s. Hate to give up the AFC, though. As long as
some of the guys are mis-using AFC, all of us need it.

I also had a few freeze-ups this past weekend. Thanks to those who waited
while I fixed it. On one one of my computers, all I had to do was switch to
dumb terminal and then back to MMTTY within a few seconds, but the other
computer actually froze up completely a few times and took several minutes
to get back online.

I didn't have as much trouble with MMTTY a year ago. I wonder if there
might be some mismatches between certain version combinations of the 3
pieces (MMTTY engine, plug in enabler, and WL).

Don't forget that other programs running in the background could affect
your success. Strip it down to a bare Explorer and Systray (see what is
running with the ctl+alt+delete) before you start WL up and see if that
helps (didn't help me).

Guys with extra serial ports could run MMTTY as a modem for WL without
"plugging it in" by routing the 5-bit output to a port and then using a
null modem cable to connect the ports. I used it this way as a "dumb
terminal" modem before the plug-in-enabler was available.

Wayne, is it possible to integrate MMTTY fully into the program without
having to rely on the plug-in-enabler? Maybe if we didn't have so many
pieces to coordinate versions for it would be more reliable.

Jerry W4UK