[WriteLog] SO2R SSB and CW

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] SO2R SSB and CW
From: n4sl@yahoo.com (Steve L.)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 12:23:45 -0700 (PDT)
Is there a way to setup Writelog SO2R operation in a
contest that supports
SSB and CW and not have to change Ports and Messages
when switching between
radio 1 that is operating SSB and radio 2 that is
operating CW?

Hi Bob,

I just got all this working TODAY!

It's easy, Writelog polls each radio and sees what
mode it's in and automatically excites it with CW or
SSB from your soundcard accordingly. The CW and SSB
messages are separate so they can be different.

I use my sound card thru a 1:1 Radio Slack audio
transformer and a 20:1 resistor divider to drive the
microphone input of each rig. I use the LPT port to
drive the CW and switch A/B and drive the PTT of each
radio (FT847 and FT1000MP Mark V). My setup connects
COM1 to the FT847, COM2 to the MP and LPT for the CW
and A/B and PTT control.

I can run either radio in either mode in any
combination and it works without touching a thing to
change modes. If both radios are in SSB mode, it's
important to control the PTT's of each radio
individually or else you'll be TXing on both at the
same time, but if you will always be running them in
opposite modes it doesn't matter, you can go VOX if
you like.

You do have to record your own audio files for the SSB
thing which took me all day but sounds pretty good.
This is probably old hat to everyone but it's my first
shot at it, I usually run CW only.

I'm going to enter the 10m contest in December in
'mixed' mode, so I'll be running strings in one mode
while S&P'ing on the other mode at all times. I think
I can handle it, but my brain might explode. Hmmm...
more like a small 'pop' in my case.

73, Steve N4SL Machias, WA CN88xa