[WriteLog] Re: [RTTY] New Virus

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Re: [RTTY] New Virus
From: hamcat@directvinternet.com (K4SB)
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 17:44:43 +0000
Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:

>    There are several new viruses going around big time today, some apparently
>    via ham reflectors.  I got several -apparently- from well respected hams.
>    I'm sure the emails weren't really from these hams, but from the address
>    books of hams without adequate AV software and updates.  I was sort of
>    surprised I didn't see anyone mention these today on these reflectors, so I
>    guess I'll be the sacrificial off topic lamb!

Well, buddy of mine got the bugbear, but finally got it off for him.
Trouble is, he lost his anti-virus software in the process.

I think these problems have gone on long enough. To be blunt, if you
don't have a current AV program automatically running on your machine,
I would seriously question why you should be allowed to subscribe.

Another point is to NEVER NEVER open an attachment unless you know
it's positively safe, and it should ALWAYS be saved to disk first,
then scanned. I use Netscape 4.73 here, and it allows me to set as
many filters as I
want. And believe me, "mortgages, sex, free, EDWARD, refinance, and
about 40 others are set to automatically delete. ( I always check the
trash bin before I read those which get through. Surprisingly, some
few which are actually good get trapped occasionally. I don't use
Explorer, and my Norton firewall will not let it access the internet,
so I don't know if it has filter capacity.

Incidentally, when I installed the Norton firewall, I was absolutely
amazed at the number of applications in
98 SE which could access the internet without your even knowing. Media
Player, Adobe Acrobat, Word, and about 40 others. You can bet your
boots the firewall now blocks access to all of them.

Personally, I enjoy the comments of just about everyone on these
reflectors, but as I said, if you don't have current AV running,
you're a danger to all of us.

73
Ed, K4SB