[WriteLog] Windows ME, WriteLog & Com Ports

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Windows ME, WriteLog & Com Ports
From: W3WW" <w3ww@adelphia.net (W3WW)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 22:19:43 -0400
Please pardon my lack of computer knowledge, but I need help.
I'm using this reflector as a last resort prior to dumping ME and loading 98
into my laptop.

I have been spending untold hours trying to get my laptop (Dell Latitude,
Pentium II 386, 128 Ram, 10 Gig HD, DVD CD & Windows
ME )(ugh) to communicate with my FT1000MP. I have tried every imaginable
Port configuration possible. I have loaded Hyperterminal into ME as it, for
some strange reason, did
not have it, and checked and cross checked Port activity. Everything seems
to work,
Writelog/DX Base/N1MM Logger all appear to latch on to a Comm Port. BUT it
stops there, I
just cannot get the programs to talk to the MP, or vice versa. WriteLog says
No Rig.

The Device manager in ME shows- COM1, LPT1,Virtual Infrared COM,Virtual
infrared
LPT1. (I have reset and re-attached these a million times in all configs)
For use with my MP, in the device mgr, I have COM1 is set at 4800 Baud,
Parity N, Databits 8, Stopbits 2
The Program was setup to match and also tried Auto.(among several other
settings out of desperation)
WriteLog always hooks up to COM 4. Is that normal??
Then NOTHING ?????

Hooked a K1NU CW interface cable from LPT1 to the key jack (hey, that was
easy) for CW keying, made the appropriate changes in setup, and it works
great. The Laptop keys the rig perfectly. WriteLog works beautifully in all
respects. What the heck is wrong with my Serial Port Configuration ??

Tell me what I'm missing. Maybe I need to get rid of ME and load 98,
although some guys run ME, I think, with no conflicts ???? This is driving
me CRAZY!!!

Also, CQ WW SSB Test is this weekend and I'm starting to panic.

Thanks,

Don W3WW