[WriteLog] Making WL work better for ARRL Sweepstakes

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Making WL work better for ARRL Sweepstakes
From: k5zd@charter.net (Randy Thompson, K5ZD)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 05:15:01 -0000
Some older versions of WriteLog do not default to the best settings for use
in the ARRL Sweepstakes.

The steps below will make your SS CW or Phone effort much more enjoyable.

1. Create a new log and choose ARRL Sweepstakes.

2. From the menu, select Contest - Exchange Format Setup.  Say No when the
first dialog comes up (you do not want to reinitialize All fields).

3. For each of the logging fields (NR, P, CALL, CK, SECT) make sure there is
a check in the box for Tab Only.  (I also make sure they all have a check
for No Space character.)

Make sure the M, ML, C, and COUNTRY fields do not have a check for Prompt.
This will prevent them from showing up in the logging window.

Note: You will need to click on the Save button for each logging field that
you modify.

4. Click OK to close the dialog.

5. Go to Contest - Parameter Setup and enter your exchange information.
This will make sure your Cabrillo file has the right stuff.  Please try to
make sure this is correct when you get ready to send in your log.  It is
very annoying to the log checker when you get it wrong.

6. If you want to use Super Check Partial, go to
http://www.datomonline.com/suppfiles.htm and get MASTERSS.ZIP.  Unzip into a
directory.  In WriteLog, go to Setup - Super Check Partial and browse to the
file you just unzipped.  Make sure the radio button for Match only
consecutive characters is selected.  Click OK.

7. For SS CW, go to Setup - CW/SSB/RTTY Messages.  I use the following:

F2:  % B K5ZD 73 WMA
F3:  TU K5ZD
F4:  K5ZD
F5:  %C
F6:  K^5^Z^D
F7:  ?
F8:  CQ SS CQ SS K5ZD K5ZD SS
F9:
F10: %C % B K5ZD 73 WMA
F11: CQ SS K5ZD K5ZD SS

Shifted keys
F2:  NR?
F3:  PREC?
F4:  CALL?
F5:  CK?
F6:  SEC?

This all assumes WriteLog is in CT compatibility mode.

You are ready for some fun!

Randy, K5ZD

PS - Please look for me in SS CW.  I am on a quest to be the first New
England station in more than 25 years to make the High Power Top Ten.  Best
I have done so far is #12.  Need 50 more QSOs to make it.