[WriteLog] Operational Characteristics of WL on CW

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Operational Characteristics of WL on CW
From: w2cs@bellsouth.net (Gary Ferdinand W2CS)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 22:48:19 -0500
Thanks to you all I'm now running a test setup with 2 computers (XP and 98)
each running an image of WL.  But I just ran aground on how best to use
PFkeys on CW

When contesting I'm usually either running contacts or searching and
pouncing (S&P).  It appears that the PFKey definitions are cumbersome at
best for S&P.  I'm wondering how you all set them up for most efficient
operation.

What I have right now gives me excellent CQ/run mode operation.  I hit
PF1/11 and a CQ fires off.  I enter the call sign of the station calling and
hit enter.  My exchange gets sent, cursor goes out of the call field to the
there's nothing to enter. WL fills in the most likely exchange info, I
listen, confirm it, and hit enter to end and log the QSO and sign my call,
hopefully getting another call to repeat the processs.  If not, I hit PF1/11
and call CQ again.  So far so good.

Now let's imagine S&P.  I'm tuning along and find a station I want to call.
Or, I see one on the band map. Either way, a call gets entered in the call
field.

I can't hit enter, like I do after a CQ, because that will send my exchange
data.  I need to establish contact.  So I guess I hit PF4 (defined with my
call in it). I then copy his exchange and verify what WL filled in is
correct.  I then hit PF2 (defined with my exchange in it).  When I hear the
TU or R in return I then hit CTRL-ENTER to silently log the QSO.

What am I missing here?  It seems like S&P is a lot of PF keystrokes. Not
nearly as intuitive as CQing.

Is there a better way do set this up?  S&P seems overly cumbersome; it would
be nice if it were similar to CQing.

Thanks,

Gary W2CS