[WriteLog] Packet Terminal Setup

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Packet Terminal Setup
From: Floyd Sense" <sentek@sprintmail.com (Floyd Sense)
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 08:10:47 -0500
I recently had to go through the process of getting the packet interface set
up again after not using Writelog for a year or so and building a different
PC in the interim.  This isn't a complete description of what you need to
do, but it's close:

1. You select the port for the TNC by going to the FILE menu in the Writelog
Packet Terminal window and checking off the correct port.  It's not done in
the Setup Ports menu of the main Writelog window.

2. Put the correct baud rate in the COMx statement in Writelog.ini for the
TNC port.  I use a KPC-3 at 4800 bps, so my com statement is:
COM5:=4800,n,8,1,p

3. Open Writelog and the packet terminal window with the TNC turned off,
then turn it on.  Most, if not all, TNCs will send an initialization message
which should appear in the packet window when you turn the TNC on.  If it's
gibberish, make sure the TNC speed agrees with the COMx definition in the
.ini file.  If you can read it, everything is probably working OK.  If
nothing appears, double check to make sure the serial cable is attached to
the port you think it is.

Note that you can use any terminal program to verify the operation of the
TNC hardware connection and thus remove Writelog from the equation.  If you
have a terminal program such as HyperTerminal, you can use that to see the
TNC initialization message.

K8AC
Floyd Sense in Angier, NC