[WriteLog] Provinces

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Provinces
From: k5am@zianet.com (Mark, K5AM)
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 21:15:18 +0000
2003 January 06, 2112 GMT

Don,

I am still confused by the province problem.

Here is what I remember,

1. The ARRL rules gives NF, NT, YT, in the multiplier
section of the rules.
2. Someone said that the Cabrillo file should use the
abbreviations used in the rules, so HQ can read the
file.
3. The Cabrillo file uses the abbreviations from what
you log, regardless of the province list, or alias list.
4. The province and alias lists only affect what you
think your mults are, not what HQ gives you based
on the Cabrillo file.
5. Your website shows NFLD, NWT, YUK.

Thus,

1. To get the Cabrillo file right, we should log the
ARRL abbreviation, no matter what is sent.
2. However, someone said "always log what is sent."
3. Of course we don't always do this, like when
some joker sends "MISSISSIPPI" we log MS anyway.
4. So it seems okay, fair, sensible, reasonable, and
HQ-cooperative to log PEI or LB when PE or LAB is
sent. I also logged NT when NWT was sent. (I would
have logged DE for DEL, but didn't have the
opportunity!)

Verification:

I logged one PE at first, and sure-enough that was in
the Cabrillo file, even though I have PEI in the
namedmult file. When I changed it to PEI in the .wl
and wrote a new Cabrillo file, it came out right.

---

PS. Congratulations on a fantastic score!

----

73,

Mark, K5AM

-----
Horse Mountain DX Ranch  DM54wa  NM
7900 feet; Honda generator power.
k5am@zianet.com
------
Home: DM62ni
Mark Mandelkern
Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA
k5am@zianet.com
First callsign: W9ECV, Milwaukee, 1948.
10 band DXCC confirmed. 134 countries on 6 meters.
Homebrew station:
<http://www.zianet.com/k5am/ncj/ncj.html>