[WriteLog] FT-1000D

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] FT-1000D
From: k6rb@baymoon.com (K6RB)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 17:17:25 -0800
This afternoon I finally got around to interfacing my FT1000-D to my laptop
and WriteLog. With the both "cw" and "rig" assigned to COM1, baud rate at
4800, polling "on" and PTT "off." The band/mode indicator on the laptop
screen said "No Rig!" and switching bands on the rig produced no changes on
the screen (of course). However, when I deselected "polling," and chose
"manual frequency input" with WriteLog, I found that I could control the
rig's band selection from the laptop (but not vice-versa). Does anyone have
any suggestions? I have COM1 wired with pins 4,5 and the appropriate
resistor/transistor for CW, and that has always worked just fine. I added a
new, shielded line between COM1 pins 2 and 3 and the CAT level converter's
pins 2 and 3. I grounded the shield to pins 5 on both ends. I did not
connect the PTT line, nor did I jumper pins 1, 4 and 6 to provide internal
loop back at the computer end (someone suggested that some computers require
that). I'll be doing NAQP, tomorrow, and hoped to be able to switch bands on
the rig and have WriteLog follow me. It looks like I'll be disconnecting the
CAT for now. Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Rob K6RB