[WriteLog] W5XDMulti+ Keyer and USB serial

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] W5XDMulti+ Keyer and USB serial
From: jpixton@shentel.net (Jerry Pixton)
Date: Mon Feb 3 13:12:17 2003
Hi all,

Here is my puzzle for today.

I have been running my W5XDmulti+ keyer in series with the rig control for
my FT1000mp on one on the native comm ports (Com1) for a long time with no
problems. Today I decided to try to move that rig control to one of my 4
USB serial ports (Comtrol Rocketport). The Rocketport has been doing rig
control for the CI-V to the IC 756 Pro II and controls my linear plus the
packet rig (all ok).

When I move the W5XD keyer to the USB port (com5) I do get rig control for
the FT1000mp OK. But now I get a very strange behavior. It takes about 4
seconds to switch focus from one radio to the other !!! When you click on a
call, the call enters instantaneously but 4 seconds later the focus
switches to that entry window (so I guess any transmission would go to the
wrong radio). In further investigation, this has to do with CW generated by
W5XD multi+. CW, PC generated does not cause the delay in focus switching.

Is any one else using the W5XD multi+ keyer on a USB serial port?  And if
so what type of USB serial device. This is the first thing that seems not
to work on the RocketPort in this computer.

Any ideas?

I am going to install my Belkin F5U103 to see if it will do FSK for the
FT1000mp. It is an older one that I have had for several years.

Jerry, W6IHG
Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC
jpixton@shentel.net