[WriteLog] LPT PTT WIN98 problem

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] LPT PTT WIN98 problem
From: k5am@zianet.com (Mark, K5AM)
Date: Wed Feb 19 01:29:45 2003
LPT PTT WIN98 problem

Problem: The PTT pin 16 on the LPT port is usually
high when WriteLog is not running, so the rig goes
into xmit. There is a switch on the interface box to
prevent this from actually happening, of course.
When I start WriteLog, then usually the pin goes low
and I can switch on the interface box. Now WriteLog
will continue to run fine all day. However, often the
pin will not go low when WriteLog is started. Tried
everything! Only restarting the computer will reset
pin 16.
         Pressing ESC will set the pin low, but it goes
back high again after 1 to 3 seconds. Holding ESC
down keeps the pin low except for brief, about 50
ms, highs, when all the transmitter relays click momentarily,
every 1 to 3 seconds. Also tried many other buttons;
e.g., sending a CW message - sends fine but stays in
xmit at end of message.

Config:
Dell 3500 laptop PentII 366 MHz 512 ram
WIN98se

Problem persists for several years, several different
WriteLog versions, two different laptops as above,
several OS installations. All the setup port settings
are as required. Auto-CQ timer is off.

Solutions needed:
1. Utility port program to set pin 16, to control
access to the LPT port to WriteLog only, and to
prevent access by other programs which may be the
cause of the problem.
2. Location in WriteLog where pin 16 can be set low.

----

73,

Mark, K5AM
Homebrew station: