[WriteLog] Leaving TRLog -- Not

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Leaving TRLog -- Not
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat Feb 22 08:06:21 2003
Coincident with Guy's starting the thread about the demise of TRLog on the
TR Reflector, I was asking people on the Writelog reflector who had
switched from TR what they thought about the transition.  Thanks to
everyone who replied to me.

I have decided not to switch.  Following are my reasons, in rough order of
importance.

1.  My current setup works.  I run TR on a dedicated 200 MHz
Pentium.  Recording of contests is done with RecAll Pro on a second
computer, which I also use for all other work (it is an Athlon 1700+).  I'm
lazy too, Dave.

2.  I have no machine- or OS-based problems with TR, whether run under DOS
or in a window under Win98SE.  I do usually take the precaution of shutting
down background tasks other than Explorer and Systray, when running in a
window, but am not sure I need to do that -- using the parameters that K6LL
suggested for the DOS window a few weeks back, I had no slurred CW or other
anomalies in the recent Sprint.

3.  It seems that the only thing Writelog has and TR doesn't, that matters
to me, is the much greater flexibility and legibility of the Windows
display scheme.  I could care less about CW decoding, MMTTY support for
RTTY, etc.  Granted that porting TR to Windows might solve many of the
problems that Guy points to, it's an awfully big job.

4.  Writelog lacks too many of the things that I have come to love about TR
-- particularly the integrated paddle keyer, ability to correct a call-sign
in the exchange field, parsing of exchanges (see SS), optimum support for
the CW Sprint, and Auto S&P enable.

5.  I love TR's support, the general lack of bugginess in new releases (try
reading the CT-User reflector for a while!), and Ron's willingness to try
new things.  Maybe this will extend to meeting some of the networking
issues Guy points out, even though those are of no concern to me.

So that's it -- thanks for all the input, and thanks for reading this.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 1 Feb 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm