[WriteLog] need a SIMPLE wave file editor

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] need a SIMPLE wave file editor
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Tue Mar 4 04:54:03 2003
> It took me a while to get comfortable with Goldwave.  Part of the
> problem being that a couple of months or more would go by between uses.
>  The thing I had the most problem remembering was how to select a
> portion of the file to delete, enhance or whatever.  Presuming that you
> have the same problem, here's the trick.
>
> 1.  Display the waveform you want to edit.
> 2.  Hold down the LEFT mouse button, move the mouse to the beginning
> (leftmost) portion of the waveform you want to edit and release the
button.
> 3.  Hold down the RIGHT mouse button, move the mouse to the end

<SNIP>

And don't forget that you can hold down SHIFT and then use the up and down
arrows to expand/compress the timeframe.  Use the graphical display along
the bottom to find the selected area of interested after several/large
changes.  This will allow very precise positioning of the recording start
and end, as well as allow precise editing of other glitches tht might occur.

> Yes, GW will do a lot of things we aren't interested in but it will do
> what we want very well and very easily.  e.g. when recording  files to
> be transmitted it isn't at all easy to record each one at the same
> amplitude.  Doesn't matter.  Once you have recorded a file, in the GW
> menu go to Effects|Volume and select Maximize.  You will get a dialogue
> box offering a bunch of options.  Select the default.  Bingo, the
> maximum amplitude of the waveform is now set to a standard level.  Do the
same for the next file you record and now it is set to the same level.  If
you want (and I do) you can increase the levels of individual syllables
using Maximize and the selection process described above.

Thanks, Jim - I've always used Effects | Volume | Change, but I missed the
MAXIMIZE option.  I use Goldwave, besides for ham radio, to record services
at our church for our website www.1umc.net.  I think the MAXIMIZE option
will be very useful there - I knew of such a function, but I had completely
missed it!

> The GW documentation is somewhat daunting and it took me quite a while
> to get here.  Now that I am, I'm glad I persevered.  I hope that this
> info will be the key to you having success with GW.

I've discovered most of it the hard way.  Reading the documentation is a
quaint idea!  Actually, the online choices are obvious enough that it's just
tempting to keep plugging away WITHOUT reading the docs.  I guess this is
how I missed the function of the MAXIMIZE function - I probably thought it
just selected everything at the maximum choice in the CHANGE window - 500%.
Maybe he should've called it STANDARDIZE instead of MAXIMIZE.  Goldwave is a
great program.  www.goldwave.com

73 - John, WA9ALS