[WriteLog] Orion computer CW keying problem with Writelog

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Orion computer CW keying problem with Writelog
From: Bill@AA6TT.com (William H. Hein)
Date: Sat May 3 12:52:58 2003
I spent some time today trying to get my Orion to use computer-generated CW
keying so I could play around in the New England QSO party this weekend.

After much trial and error it appears that the W5XD multi-keyer (the one
that is designed to work as a SO2R controller and computer generated CW
keyer in conjunction with Writelog contest software) will not key the Orion.
I tested the same set-up on two other rigs (IC-756PROII & TS-2000X) each of
which keyed OK.  The problem therefore seems to lie with the Orion.  I am
using the Orion's rear panel keying jack (which does key if I short the
connector with a wire). The W5XD multi-keyer generates "opto-isolated CW
outputs" per its manual.

Any suggestions? Contest starts at 4pm EDT Saturday and I'll have to use the
IC-756PROII if I can't figure this out in time.

73,
Bill AA6TT
Bill@AA6TT.com