[WriteLog] you guys would be proud of me

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] you guys would be proud of me
From: k4sb@earthlink.net (K4SB)
Date: Tue May 27 00:10:53 2003
FireBrick wrote:
> First is counteracts the well-known Tailtwister bug by first momentarily
> turning the rotor the wrong way and then going to the desired azimuth.
-----------

First, congrats to Bill for a well done job.

However, I take exception the to this "well known Tailtwister bug". A
much better name would be lack of maintenance on the rotor. There are
2 limit switches in the rotor housing, and both are normally closed
whenever the rotor is at any position other than its limits at
either end of rotation.

Unfortunately, these 2 switches and the brake are in the bottom of the
housing, and thus
susceptible to moisture and corrosion. Taking the rotor apart every
couple of years and
cleaning the brake and these two switches will solve the problem.

It's also a good idea to plan on replacing the ball bearings on a
schedule based mostly on
climate. If you live on either coast, or in harsher environments, I
will guarantee you rust
and corrosion will be present.

Finally, the choice of rotor cable ( as to size ) presented in the
manual is grossly optimistic. If the run is over 100 feet, you can
save yourself a lot of grief by going to the heavier cable.

73
Ed