[WriteLog] Field Day

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Field Day
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Mon Jun 30 13:13:45 2003
We had no problems networking a Win98 and Win2K machine. All we had to do
was set the workgroup name the same and create identical logon accounts on
both machines. For some reason the Win98 computer requested an additional
network logon when the machine was rebooted and reconnected to the other
copy of WL, but this was straightforward. We had excellent results with a
simple network crossover cable connecting the machines. Past bad experience
with an inexpensive LinkSys switch leads me to believe that RF can get into
stitches and hubs. Best to test extensively in a strong RF environment
before use in a contest. Field Day is often a mess for RFI, with closely
spaced antennas, poor grounding, etc.

We noticed that CW on the Win98 machine (333 MHz) would stutter fairly
often, and it seemed to be related to network traffic. That machine never
stuttered when saving the file. In contrast, the Win2K machine (600 MHz)
only stuttered when the log was saved and seemed unaffected by network
traffic. Good old Windows multi-tasking...

73, Dick WC1M