[WriteLog] Soundboards

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Soundboards
From: tgeorgen@lsil.com (Georgens, Tom)
Date: Wed Jul 23 00:38:12 2003
Hello all -

I need to replace my computer at my station in Barbados and I have a
soundboard question.

I have used Writelog to record some of my contest activity (the comments on
the other reflector notwithstanding) and I had been taking advantage of a
feature on the soundboard that does not seem universally available.  I
wanted to record the sent CW and the received audio without turning on the
sidetone.  My solution was to take the sidetone output from the Multikeyer
and put it in the "line in" on the sound board.  I would put a Y connector
into my headphone line and run a wire to "mic in" on the sound board.  The
soundboard would mix the channels and record them both at once.

It turns out that recording two channels at once is not a feature of every
soundboard.  My T600 laptop works fine, my newer A20 laptop does not,  my
Ensoniq Soundboard does not, my SoundBlaster live does not, and my Cyrix
M300 based mother board in 8P works great.  If there is any trend, the older
sound boards are the ones that seem to work.

It is almost impossible to tell from the boxes or the websites whether this
function works and I don't want to buy one of each until I find one that
works.

My question is whether anybody out there knows of a soundboard that meets
this criteria?  It is also possible that I am missing a setting somewhere
but I doubt it.

The way to tell if the function exits is to bring up the Volume control
menu.  (Start -> Programs -> Entertainment -> Volume control).  Then click
on Options -> Properties -> Recording and hit OK.  If you can select Line in
and Microphone at once, the board probable works.  If selecting one mutes
the other, it does not.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice

73, Tom W2SC 8P1A