[WriteLog] FCC Callsign Database with WriteLog?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] FCC Callsign Database with WriteLog?
From: k4sb@earthlink.net (K4SB)
Date: Sat Jul 26 11:38:54 2003
Gary Kohtala wrote:
> I would like to be able to do lookups with the FCC
> database, which is downloadable free from the
> internet. Other programs I have allow this. Simply put the
> desired callsign in the entry box and hit tab or enter
> and the full name and mailing address appears on the
> screen... One in large lettering for immediate use,
> and the other in the log entry itself, in the OTHER or
> COMMENTS field (customizeable).

I am not aware of any program which uses the FCC database. How about
their names?

> CD based callsign lookups are ok, but they cost money, and within a week
> or two are obsolete. I believe that the FCC database
> is the best way to go in the long run. Having this
> feature in WriteLog would give me just about
> everything a serious ham could want. Perhaps this
> could be incorporated in future releases of WriteLog.
> My two cents worth.... :)

First of all, the CD based programs are not obsolete in a week or two.
With Buckmaster,
you are given 6 ( or 12 ) months of free updates. Now for the more
particular problems.

First of all, the downloaded FCC database is a little over 64
megabytes, UNzipped. That will extend to over 400 megabytes when
unzipped. Now you have 5 files which must be integrated with each
other. EN.dat is the big one, and it is literally loaded with errors,
mostly misplaced delimiters. Plus, it has ALL call signs in it,
including those which have been canceled or expired. So you wind up
having to decode those, and you must be careful with the dates,
because some may have been reassigned. Now you have to deal with all
the Club calls. No problem with clubs such as the PVRC, or the South
East Contest Club. But, do you have any idea at all of the specialized
Clubs which exist? Packet, microwave, experimental, repeaters, + some
which are just jokes to name a few. There are thousands.

Now we go to re issued calls, and they must be dealt with.

Now, you have to develop a special algorithm to allow for a fast
lookup.

Believe me, with all due respect to the idea, it's just not worth it.

73
Ed