[WriteLog] Computer Query

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Computer Query
From: k6ll@juno.com (Dave Hachadorian)
Date: Tue Aug 5 16:59:39 2003

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 19:02:29 +0000 "Michael J. Donohue VE3YF"
<mdonohue@sympatico.ca> writes:
> Hi:
>      I am trying to figure out if I can add a couple of Serial Ports
> to an
> old 233MMX Computer. Currently the computer is configured as:
>
> Com1: IRQ 04 (FT-1000D)
> Com2: IRQ 03 (PK-900)
> Lpt1  : IRQ 07 (CW Keying in Future)
>
> Network Card  IRQ 11
> Video Card    IRQ 10
> Multimedia Card  IRQ 05
> Sound Card    IRQ 09
>
> Com 1 / Com 2 and Lpt 1 are off the motherboard.
>
> How can I use Com 3 / Com 4. If I go in and have a look at the
> system
> resources,   I see no IRQ's that are free. Can the IRQ's be shared
> on a
> successful basis by giving different addresses. I would like to use
> another
> couple of Ports for Rotor Control and Rig Control. Any help in this
> matter
> would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Go to www.byterunner.com and order one of their four com
port boards which support irq sharing. The isa board is
about $50, pci about $100. Sometimes you can find these
cheaper through google or ebay. If you choose pci, keep
in mind that it won't work with DOS programs (not without
a big hassle anyway).

In bios setup, disable motherboard com2, freeing up irq3.
Use irq 3 for the four Byterunner ports.
You will end up with five com ports:
com 1 irq 4 (motherboard)
com 2-5 irq 3 (Byterunner)

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL