[WriteLog] WL and telnet sites

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] WL and telnet sites
From: n7us@earthlink.net (Jim McDonald)
Date: Thu Aug 7 13:02:10 2003
George/Bill,

AR-Cluster nodes can turn on a keep-alive transmission which does help the
disconnect problem.  Users can also use a program that gerenates a keep alive
transmission, but, as far as I remember, it's not included in WriteLog yet.

DX Telnet does have the feature too, and using it to feed WriteLog can be done,
but it would be simpler if WriteLog offered a keep alive. (DXbase, the general
logging program, has a built-in keep-alive generator.)

AR-Cluster has experimented with different types of keep-alives.  The current
version sends a system prompt after 9 (I think) minutes of inactivity.  Some
logging programs require that type of prompt, but others can suffice with a
telnet transmission that doesn't result in a visible system prompt.  In a major
contest, there aren't many periods of low activity, so you wouldn't see many
inactivity prompts.

One tip is to look at your router set-up, probably in the advanced user screen,
to ensure it isn't disconnecting you after, say, three minutes on inactivuty.

My ISP, Sprint Broadband disconnects my users sometimes, and I can't help that,
but it's frustrating for them and me.  Most nodes won't have that problem.

Good luck,
Jim N7US
AR-Cluster node telnet to n7us.net
145.09 in Phoenix, AZ area