[WriteLog] Virus hoax (was: VERY IMPORTANT)

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Virus hoax (was: VERY IMPORTANT)
From: kk9a@arrl.net (kk9a@arrl.net)
Date: Mon Aug 11 00:28:05 2003
Here we go again with the virus thread.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob McCormick W1QA" <writelog@W1QA.com>
To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 03:36

This evening I got an email purportedly from
one Jack Colson <jackcolson@netsignia.net>
originating on a cable provider address [24.129.188.91]
and relayed through [24.129.188.85].
(If this was sent by a virus the name and
email address may be forged.)

This mail message was sent to my email address,
one that is solely used for this (writelog) list.

I am posting this to the WriteLog list noting that
others may have also received this message as well.

The email suggests that you need to search your
system for the jdbgmgr.exe file and delete it.

This is a hoax:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoa
x.html

Although the jdbgmgr file can be infected by one or more
viruses, it is often found on Windows based systems as
noted by the SARC note above.

My suggested best practice when receiving a message
like this is to review your favourite antivirus
vendor's web site to determine if in fact it is a
legit warning or hoax.  I would also strongly suggest
the use of a recent version of antivirus software ...
and more importantly, keeping your virus definitions
up-to-date.

73 Bob W1QA