[WriteLog] Teletype font for WL

To: WriteLog <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Teletype font for WL
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 00:06:31 -0500
Hi folks --

   Surely there must be some old time Teletype machine operators out there
(like me - hi!)

   I am working on a little spare time project to create a clean reproduction
of the original Teletype Corporation characters used
on Model 28, 33 and 35 printers.  There will be some adjustments to add clarity
on computer screens with their pixel structure.
This will be a high-quality font with all the proper hinting and other subtle
details needed to make an excellent screen and
printing font.  The result will be made available for use in WriteLog wherever
a fixed-spacing font is desired.

   To complete the character set, I need actual copies of Teletype printed text
from those old machines.  A reasonably high
resolution scanner image should be fine.  These will be used to develop the
initial character forms.

   I have access to printouts from a Model 28 typebox containing the
conventional character set:
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 1234567890 .,;:"'/?()*&%$#@!-

   I am looking to add:
-- meteorological symbols, from the typebox used by the FAA and US Weather
Bureau.
-- commercial symbols (fractions, mostly) that were used on some Western Union
machines; e.g., for stock data on news wires.
-- additional symbols contained on a Model 33 or 35 ASCII printers.

   Thanks for any assistance.

73,
   -- Eric K3NA

p.s.:  I have done a Google search for this data but have not found an adequate
result.  There were a couple of close ones, but each
has their individual problems: no slashed zero, not properly aligned, incorrect
shaping, inadequate hinting, missing characters in
the set, etc.