Re: [WriteLog] Re: issues--HOME key

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Re: issues--HOME key
From: "Bob Naumann - N5NJ" <n5nj@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:00:24 -0600
Jim,

I presume that you are from a TR background.  Those of us who came from the CT
world, find your commentary about "modes" mystifying.  I've used both CT & TR,
but I always preferred the CT approach.

With CT, all of your messages are in the F1 through F4 memories: 1=CQ, 2=exch,
3=TU/QRZ , 4=your callsign.

Writelog can emulate CT's approach very well in CT compatibility mode.

In this mode, Enter always Enters.  There is no S&P or Run mode.  However, to
facilitate running, the convention is to set up Auto CQ on your F1 CQ memory.
Then when someone calls you, type their callsign and press the Ins (Insert)
key.  This sends the callsign you typed, and your F2 message (his call +
exchange).  After logging the exchange, then press the + key to say thanks and
log the Q.  (Enter+F3)  If you use the Ins and + keys on the numeric keypad,
which are large keys, you can get quite comfortable with smacking those big
keys at the appropriate time without a whole lot of care.

When you are S&P, you just type the callsigns, and hit the appropriate memory
function key to send whatever you need to, and hit enter to finally log the QSO.

Anyway, that's the CT approach, and I know lots of people use it very
effectively.

73,
Bob N5NJ