RE: [WriteLog] Heil mic circuit

To: "'Rick Mintz'" <Rmintz@Rochester.rr.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] Heil mic circuit
From: "Dick Dievendorff" <dieven@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:51:35 -0800
I have used a Heil Proset with my ICOM 761 with just the Heil "blue" ICOM
AD-1 adapter, see http://www.heilsound.com/ad-1.htm.  It's the little widget
that has an 8-pin plug on one end and a 1/4 inch phono jack (for the
footswitch) and a 1/8 inch mono jack (for the microphone).  Heil
manufactures AD-1 adapters for several kinds of radios, you want the 'blue'
one for ICOM.

I used a BM-10 for some years without a preamp, I just got the ICOM version
of the BM-10.  I routinely use my Heil Proset with my ICOM 775 without a
preamp.

On the 761 I did have to advance the microphone gain control to about the 1
o'clock position.

I didn't find a preamp necessary with the 761, and I believe I've used it in
a contest without a preamplifier with a 765 as well.  It's been a few years.

Heil has a web page about this topic:  http://www.heilsound.com/icom_fix.htm

The main thing to worry with ICOM is that there is a DC voltage on the
microphone audio lead that requires a blocking capacitor for Heil elements.
All the Heil ICOM adapters have this blocking capacitor built-in.

Some microphone elements require DC voltage to work; Heil elements don't
need or work at all well with this DC voltage.  A blocking capacitor is
necessary if you do it yourself.  See

http://www.heilsound.com/harmonics.htm#DC for the details.

I bought a couple of Heil preamps some years ago and haven't used them much.

I have found Bob Heil very easy to talk with and a delight to do business
with.  Send him e-mail or call him on the phone if the topic isn't already
covered on his web site. He's justifiably very proud of his products and
wants his customers to have a positive experience.  And we can be a varied
lot of folks.

73 de Dick, K6KR