Re: [WriteLog] An answer for K6VVA

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] An answer for K6VVA
From: Eric Hilding <eric@hilding.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:32:32 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Jim Brown wrote:
> The biggest problem I hear with SSB contests, especially DX contests,
> is heavily distorted audio caused by overdriving the computer audio
> system, overdriving the transmitter audio input, and wildly excessive
> speech processing. In the recent SSB DX contests, I bypassed one in
> five of the DX stations I heard, most of them very loud, because I
> couldn't copy their callsign!

Jim:

Yes (I think we both probably heard some of the same stations).

Maybe it's time to subsitute an RST for RS on SSB (the T part being for
audio quality :-)

But with all the bogus "everybody is 59" scam, why bother.  IMHO, RS & RST
reports should be axed from contests anyway because they are meaningless.
Why bother?  In the "good old days", they meant something, usually.  Just
my 2 cents worth.

Whether "live" or "robotic", I agree with you about the
lack-of-audio-quality.  That's why PRO recording of .wav files is
essential, and probably why so many "pooh-pooh" the idea.

73...

Rick, K6VVA