[WriteLog] Dueling CQs

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Dueling CQs
From: John Cashen <vk4uc@bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 06:07:07 +1000
As part of the annual SO2R debate string on the RTTY reflector I added to the noise, in part with the paragraph below. Now that I use Writelog on all modes I find I miss some of TRLOG's features.

"Actually TRLOG has a feature called "dueling CQs" which allows the CW or SSB SO2R operator to run on both radios using lockout. It can be made to work quite well on SSB as well as CW. That feature has been around a long time and most TR SO2R ops use it from time to time, including myself. I have found that alternating CQs on RTTY(manually) with Writelog to be non productive for two reasons: (1) I use RITTY on my #1 radio and MMTTY on my #2 radio and for some unexplained reason the "timed CQ" function has a different listening time with MMTTY than with RITTY. I have never been able to find a delay which works well with both at the same time (a minor bug that Wayne might fix someday) and (2) the listening times on RTTY are long and so are some calls while others can be quite short. Its much harder for me to sustain a "rhythm" like I can on the other modes. Then again it may just be my own limitation and others may have made it work. Being "DX" I do a lot more CQing and running than S&P and Mult chasing and would like to see Writelog have a dueling CQ function, at least for CW and SSB."

John VK4UC

---