[WriteLog] second sound card and some issues

To: "Writelog List" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] second sound card and some issues
From: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 19:34:04 -0600
Been experimenting with the new Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card.
I'm pretty sure it's a 'cleaner' card. Less noise than the
motherboard NVIDIA sound system or my previous Creative card.

I found some things.
If you want the card to be the DEFAULT sound card.
You go to the Control Panel, Sound & Audio devices.
Go to the Audio tab and select the new sound card as the default.

This will now make it device -1 in the MMTTY Misc tab.
I would also go to the Writelog Sound Mixer Level Control applet and select the
new card
as the default.
Took me a while to figure out why I couldn't adjust the Line In level.
The new card has a higher amplification and I needed to turn down the input
level.

This sound card is a 16bit but has 18bit AD converters which I'm told by a well
known RTTY
sound guru is why I'm seeing a bit cleaner display and a bit better decoding
(hopefully).

Your mileage may vary, don't shoot, flame, or throw rocks at me.
My wife fulfills that role nicely.