Re: [SPAM] RE: [WriteLog] Serial Card Question

To: "WA9ALS - John" <ham_reflectors@wa9als.com>,"WriteLog" <WriteLog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [SPAM] RE: [WriteLog] Serial Card Question
From: "Bob Naumann - N5NJ" <n5nj@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 17:04:40 -0600
First, let me apologize, as I was not familiar with the apparent "standard" of
using the TXD output of a serial port for FSK purposes.

I have reviewed the site: http://www.aa5au.com/rttyinterface.html which I would
heartily recommend to all who are interested in this.

I presumed that you were able to use a single port to control your radio, do
PTT and FSK - which, you could - as long as you weren't using TXD for FSK.  I
don't know why you would not use DTR or RTS as I said, which would allow you to
continue to read/control your radio's frequency from that same port.  Perhaps,
those two outputs are used for PTT and CW and cannot be used for FSK because of
that conflicting standard?

Any of the output pins can be switched on and off (toggled state - on/off,
hi/low, low/hi - whatever) to control somthing, which in this case, for FSK,
the TXD pin is being toggled on and off to shift the carrier using the FSK
input of your radio.

Again, if your serial port does not have TXD and RXD on pins 3 and 2
respectively, you have a problem with that port not having everything it should
have.

73,
Bob N5NJ