Re: [WriteLog] SO2C Syncronization?

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] SO2C Syncronization?
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:55:25 +0000
Ric wrote:
What is the procedure for syncronizing the time in WL for two networked
'puters?

I prefer to apply the KISS principle by setting the clock on one 'puter
and then telling it to syncronize the other 'puter clock.

I failed to find this answer in the WL HELP file.   Maybe I can't see the
forest for the trees ...

If your operating system allows, you can sync to another networked PC on demand, using the ancient net.exe program.

Right-click the Windows desktop and choose New > Shortcut.

At the Command Line prompt, enter -
c:\windows\net.exe time \\somepc /set /yes (note the spaces)
In place of "somepc", enter the network name of the PC you want to use as a local time server.

Continue through the wizard to give the shortcut a name, and an icon if you wish. An MS-DOS prompt will appear on the desktop. Double-click it whenever you feel like updating this machine's clock.

I run this command automatically whenever the radio PC is started, to re-sync its clock to the Internet gateway machine that connects regularly to a time server.

It isn't precision timing, but it's plenty good enough for contest logging.

Actually, setting the clock by hand to the nearest minute would be plenty good enough for contest logging too.

CU in the WW RTTY WPX?

Sure thing - GX5RP on 40m!