Re: [WriteLog] AFSK on RTTY not LSB on 1000mp field

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] AFSK on RTTY not LSB on 1000mp field
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 00:09:49 -0800
Hi Scott,

Been away from this for a bit getting antennas up for ARRL DX. NAQP RTTY is next week and I'd sure love to be able to use 500 & 250 Hz filters in my MkV, given the great increase in popularity of RTTY contesting and attendant QRM.

It looks like you may have the key to this. Now, my Nor, Nar1 and Nar2 buttons all "work" in RTTY/AFSK. i.e. they provide different filtering action. However, the filter selected by Nar1 is my 1.8 kHz filter, not my 500. The filter selected by Nar2 is the 250. In CW mode Nar1 and 2 select the 500 and 250 as one would expect.

Have you actually checked the bandwidth of the filter(s) selected by your Nar1 when in RTTY mode? If you do get 500 or thereabouts for Nar1 and 250 or so for your Nar2, the next thing is to figure out how you're doing it. I don't know what to suggest. I suppose the first thing to try would be, if you're willing, to let me know what your menu settings are for the various filter options.

73 de Jim Smith VE7FO

Scott Nichols wrote:

My Mark V works FB in RTTY mode...NAR, NAR1 and NAR2 all function properly, same as in CW mode...

Don't know exactly how it was set up to do this, but it has ALL available filters installed...I bought it slightly used, and have never had to reset any of the menu settings...I do know NAR1 has 2 cascaded 500 hz filters and NAR2 has 2 cascaded 250 hz filters in RTTY and CW modes...Works FB...

I find it hard to believe the FIELD would be different, but I have never used a FIELD...

Scott VE1OP