Re: [WriteLog] 5 bit mystery unraveled

To: "Bob Naumann - N5NJ" <n5nj@gte.net>,"Nick Kail" <m3mlr@tiscali.co.uk>,"'FireBrick'" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>,"'Writelog List'" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] 5 bit mystery unraveled
From: "Ric Plummer" <ricp@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:32:50 -0000
One Point on item 5.
Software thru DTR is essentially impossible with modern operating systems.
While the super fast processors would be up to the task, the operating
system would get in the way.
Remember, we still get reports of CW stuttering when sent by the computer,
and this is very slow compared to millisecond timing required to keep low
distortion levels with 22 msec bit times of 45 baud.
So, keep those old ports alive, the 16550 class UARTs are the winners.
It is interesting to think ahead a few years though, and wonder how we will
be able to send 45 baud FSK.
A new computer, no serial ports, no way to use USB converters, such as
Belkin F103s for 5 bit with the new operating systems, hmmmmm cause for
thought at least !!

Ric KV1W