Re: [WriteLog] Re: What's wrong with AFSK? was - 5 bit mysteryunraveled

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Re: What's wrong with AFSK? was - 5 bit mysteryunraveled
From: "David Hachadorian" <K6LL@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 08:22:28 -0700
From: "Charles Morrison" <cfmorris@bellsouth.net>
To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 7:48 AM
Subject: [WriteLog] Re: What's wrong with AFSK? was - 5 bit mystery
unraveled

>For me, my 850 in SSB with the narrow filters don't
> work unless I shift all of the filter passbands

If you select "low tones" on your afsk generator
and on the 850's startup menu, the tones are
perfectly centered in the LSB passband. You can
then select your narrow filters and everything
works perfectly, including high cut and low cut
controls.

I used afsk in my first rtty roundup contest, and
placed in the top ten. Running high power, though,
is a problem. The slightest amount of rfi creeping into
the audio will make the signal sound crappy. On voice,
it might sound like a little fuzz, but on rtty it really
looks and sounds bad. Most people are watching your signal
with a spectrum analyzer on rtty!

Also, you have to remember to turn off your Windows
sounds, or you'll have bells and whistles going out,
along with your afsk!

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL