Re: [WriteLog] Icom IC-756PROII and auto split

To: "Robert B. Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Icom IC-756PROII and auto split
From: "Gerald Wilson" <gtwilson@integrity.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 04:36:33 -0000
To further elaborate (and repeat what has been said some time ago), it seems
to be better to let the WriteLog software control your IC-756 Pro II.

If you are tuning 40 meter DX phone, enter the split (XMIT) frequency using
the "-" (minus sign) which brings up the "Enter Split Frequency" (other VFO)
dialogue box.   Entering the frequency (or just the last three digits) and
hitting "Enter" will put your rig into split frequency operation.   If you
change frequencies over a large range or to another band, entering the
frequency into the Call Entry field and hitting "Enter" will return you to
simplex operation.

Resist the temptation to push the "Split" button on the front panel.
During the CQ WPX phone test, I forgot and pressed the split-button.   I
immediately saw an incorrect frequency indication because the software did
not know I was controlling the rig.  As Jim said, the software cannot read
the Icom system because it does not provide (or make available) the
Split/Simplex status to the software.   I believe this is true for all
IC-756's and may be for other Icom's too.   Others have explained the Icom
system in more detail awhile back.

Love the rig and the software.

 73,
   Jerry    K7VIT