RE: [WriteLog] Delay in changing entry window focus

To: "WriteLog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] Delay in changing entry window focus
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 02:55:50 -0500
On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:46:10 -0500, Kurszewski Chad-WCK005
wrote:

>It's the USB-Serial converter.

I suspect that you are correct. I live in the pro audio world, and we use
laptops to control a wide variety of equipment using serial ports.
The recent trend to eliminate serial ports from laptops has given us no
end of grief. The current wisdom is that if you need a serial port, use
either a real one or one housed in a PCMCIA module. A very similar
explanation of the issues was provided in one of our email lists last
month.

As luck (bad) would have it, I just had to replace my trusty IBM T22 (real
serial port) with a T41 (no serial port). I've ordered (but not yet received)
a Quatech DSP100 that provides two real serial ports with a 16750
UART chip. My only concern is grounding. It arrives tomorrow. We'll see.
Cost is about $150.

Jim Brown K9YC