Re: [WriteLog] USB to Serial Port Adapter

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] USB to Serial Port Adapter
From: "David Hachadorian" <K6LL@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 20:18:10 -0700
From: "GARY ELLIOT" <K7OX@MSN.COM>
To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 6:47 PM
Subject: [WriteLog] USB to Serial Port Adapter

Hello fellow WL's

I am using a new computer that only has one serial port which I am
using for rig control...I need to find a USB to Serial Port adapter
that will work for FSK.  Anybody out there that is on RTTY can
recommend one THAT WORKS ?  Thanks

73 Gary
--------------------------------

Hi Gary,

That subject has been discussed a lot on the reflector. Check the
archives at http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/WriteLog/

As I remember it, only one or two converters work for fsk, but they
almost ALL work for rig control, so it's better to use your one real
serial port for fsk. Many computers these days don't even have one
serial port.

Is the new computer a notebook or desktop? If desktop, you can get a
four or eight port serial card from Byterunner (EBay?). They use only
one irq. Irq's are also in short supply on modern computers.

Adios,

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ