[WriteLog] Damaged log problem

To: <Writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Damaged log problem
From: "John Fleming" <john@wa9als.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 07:58:54 -0500
My friend Alan (WD9GMK) and I operated in the NAQP RTTY contest yesterday
mobile.  Things were going swell until we turned a corner and Alan said,
"I've lost the log!"  We were on Q number 42 at the time.  That #42 was
showing in the log, but the previous ones were just gone!  The summary box
showed only one QSO and it's score.  I reached over and SAVED the log -
maybe that wasn't a good idea, but something was wrong already.  When we
rebooted the machine, there was still only one QSO showing in the log (#42),
and we could continue logging with the sequence numbers picking up and going
on starting with #43.  The backup adi file also had the one QSO, but that
was probably my fault for saving the bad log!

The logfile size indicated that there was more than one QSO in the log.  If
we look at the log with a text editor, the previous 41 QSOs are in there
amidst the garbage characters you typically see when you use a text editor
to look at something that's not pure text.

So the question is - Anyone see this before and have any suggestions besides
picking through the garbage to recover the data by hand?  I seem to remember
a thread awhile back about someone trying to recover a log, but that might
have been on the DX4WIN reflector.

Any idea why this would've happened?  At this point we don't know the exact
keystroke we did, if any, when the Qs disappeared.  73 - John, WA9ALS