Re: [WriteLog] Re: CIS RTTY contest question

To: "Shelby Summerville" <k4ww@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Re: CIS RTTY contest question
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 05:50:54 -0700
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:53:50 -0400, Shelby Summerville wrote:

>When I find it necessary to "modify" something, that should have already
>been "modified", I usually find something more productive to do on that
>particular weekend!
>I've haven't been using WriteLog long enough to give a "realistic" opinion.
>I also must have: a) been fortunate, b) received some good advise, or c) am
>easily satisfied with what I have? Over the period of time (6 months) I have
>seen far too many requests for assistance, than, IMHO, should be necessary?
>If/when software authors realize that the "presumption" of anything, other
>than "bare basics",doesn't apply to a great percentage of their users, will
>their software become "user friendly"! I much prefer a high rate during a
>contest, rather that trying to determine why the program isn't working,
>correctly?

I agree with Shelby's frustration, but I believe what he is seeing is
the result of having only a limited user base and only limited demand
for the product.  IOW, only one or two people are working on the
program vs an army of people at (for example) Microsoft or other large
software company.  A lot of the testing, by necessity, will be done by
us users and I don't see any way around it.

Thank goodness Wayne, Ron and the module writers *are* responsive to
problems!  I've seen other software products where the attitude was
"to heck with it, this is only a hobby, I'm going to the beach".

Hang in there, guys.  Things will get straightened out.

--
73, Bill W6WRT