[WriteLog] PTT Won't Release Problem Solved

To: "Writelog@Contesting. Com" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] PTT Won't Release Problem Solved
From: "Ken Widelitz" <widelitz@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:55:30 -0700
Per Wayne, W5XD's suggestion, removing the cables from the PTT outputs on
the W5XD keyer to the XCVRs solved the problem with recorded messages not
dropping the PTT after the message was finished, at least for VOX mode.
However, doing so prevented the footswitch from working. At least for the
sprint I could live without the footswitch.

Wayne then suggested reconnecting the PTT outputs to the XCVRs but removing
the audio cable from the computer. Immediately, WL behaved as it should,
dropping PTT when the message was finished, even though no audio was
actually being transmitted. When I reconnected the audio cable, somehow the
entire problem had gone away. Now PTT gets dropped with or without VOX, with
the PTT outputs connected to the XCVRs, no matter what the COMM PTT
settings, no matter what the "All Mode PTT on CW port RTS" setting and the
footswitch works as it should.

Wayne suspects the PTT lock problem had to do with audio coming from the PC
combined with the XCVR VOX settings. I know I played with the XCVR VOX
settings and audio volume to eliminate the problem while I was testing this
earlier, but you can't argue with success. I'm convinced Wayne is a genius
and he fixed this via mental telepathy, but in any event I want to publicly
thank him for his personal support in getting this problem resolved.

Also thanks to the dozen or so denizens of this reflector who made well
founded suggestions, including one regarding the VOX levels, even though
they ultimately didn't solve the problem.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT