[WriteLog] RITTYRite Crashes

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] RITTYRite Crashes
From: "Robert Carroll" <rlcarroll@patmedia.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:35:32 -0400

I have been struggling with a problem I am experiencing with Writelog for
several weeks.  I am using the latest full download on a 3 month old Dell
8400 running Windows XP SP2.  Thinking there might be something amiss or
peculiar to that machine, I installed the program on an older Dell 8100,
also running XP SP2.  Initially I suspected the problem might be linked to
the fact that I have a Creative Audigy board in the 8400 for audio
applications and a Creative SoundBlaster, which I bought for use with
Writelog.  In the 8100 I have only a single Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.  On
board checks the Audigy is a 7b, the SoundBlaster is a 7f, and the Turtle
Beach a 7b.  Several years ago I ran an earlier edition of Writelog on the
8100 with no problems.  I can run other somewhat similar programs such as
MixW, Logic, Digipan, MTTY etc successfully on both machines.

Here is the scenario.  I set up Writelog, find I have rig control, etc, and
open a RTTY window.  I select a TTU.  I get a message that Writelog can't
initialize sound card software. But RTTYRite seems to work anyway.  The
"can't initialize" message usually comes up only the first time I run
RTTYRite, either after a resinstallation or, as Ron suggested, deleting the
RITTY part of the ini file.  Then the fun begins.  If I try to change from
whatever TTU mode I originally selected the program pauses and then issues a
"run time error" and RITTYRite exits, or I get a "RTTYRite MFC has
encountered an error and must exit" message and the program closes.  So I am
"stuck" in the first selected mode.

Along the way after I could not solve the problem I installed MTTY and the
Writelog MTTY plug in.  MTTY works fine on its on, and I can switch to it
within Writelog where sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  On
occasion I see no signal on the display and find I have to switch to use the
other sound card channel.  On occasion I can see a trace of a signal, like
it is super weak, but MTTY is decoding.  Switching audio channels and
switching back often makes things run and appear normally.

But if I switch out of MTTY by selecting a RTTYRIte TTU, unless I select
exactly the one I selected on initial set up (where the sound card did not
initialize), RTTYRite will crash,

Having posted a call for help last week I got a nice response from ly2ij who
had run into the same problem just before the contest and after a stressful
period got things running by deselecting the Enable Recording Loop and Echo
Microphone selections on the soundboard options panel.  I can "fiddle" with
those selections and sometimes get RTTYRIte into a "limp along" mode after
it has gone through a period of refusing to run, but the cure is only
partial.  (Actually I have seen some info that enable recording loop should
be ON for soundcard RTTY).

What I am looking for is feedback from anyone else who is experiencing a
similar problem or suggestions from anyone on how to fix or track down the
problem.  I keep suspecting pilot error but have not found the mistake so
far.

Bob W2WG