[WriteLog] Problem with XP service pack2?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Problem with XP service pack2?
From: "Alan Maenchen" <ad6e@inreach.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 21:17:34 -0000
I finally upgraded to 10.50D last week and set up the lap top for SSCW.
Everything seems to work fine. The lap top only has one serial port so I
tried using the USB/serial converter I used last year for a packet
connection. Since I don't have packet here, but I will later, I moved the K2
rig control and CW keying to serial port 2 just to test the port. It worked
like a charm and I saved the configuration.

Then I installed XP Service Pack 2 a few days later not thinking ...

The USB adapter now seems to cause XP Pro to crash big time. Strange,
because I've found XP to be pretty stable over the past 3 years that I've
been using it. Obviously SP2 doesn't like the USB device.

So, I unplug the USB adapter and figure I'll not use packet in SS. Awww..
who needs it? XP no longer crashes.  Unfortunately, that isn't the end of
the story...

Now when WL is loaded (no USB adapter), I get the following:

X  Comm port not available.   OK?   (well, no it isn't OK, but that's
MickeySoft for you)
X  Shared CW and rig control on the selected COM port is not possible. OK?

then WL comes up on the screen immediately followed by:

"WRITELOG MFC Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
are sorry for the inconvenience..."  send error report.

WL then closes.  However the band map and packet screens stay running.
Packet via telnet works fine.

I assume this is all because I saved WL with the rig sitting on COM2 which
is no longer there.  I seem to be in a catch 22 situation. How can I change
the rig back to COM1 so WL doesn't crash?

I have no idea why installing SP2 would cause this problem.
I also have UserPort running, although with serial keying I probably don't
need it.

Any suggestions?

73, Al  AD6E