[WriteLog] Writelog tcpip bug in latest patch

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Writelog tcpip bug in latest patch
From: Dale Jackaman <dalej@reboot.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:23:39 -0800
We got hammered by a pretty serious bug in the latest Writelog and tcpip
patch.  Version 10.50D   About every hour to two hours Writelog would hang
with the infamous "Switch to" error message popping up.  All other
Writelog stations would subsequently to the same at the same time.  Only a
full restart or a manual killing of the AWLOGPK~1.EXE and WlogNetDde.exe
services, then reload Writelog, would allow us to continue.  The band map
window would also flash with odd graphics characters appearing across that
window in random fashion.   The unpatched Writelog would not allow the
workstations to stay in sync for very long and we got nailed with too many
band changes per hour and a couple of 10 minute rule violations in the
last CQ SSB.  In CQWW CW we had paper handy and reverted to ludditeville
for those frequent down periods.   I ended up having to take a wireless
laptop to bed with me to fix issues from remote as we went.  Ack!

The network here is all XP (and yes, SP2) except for one Windows 2000
workstation that wasn't used in CQWW CW.   It's a clean network as network
security is something I do professionally.   The workstations are
dedicated to the individual stations.

And the Writelog Packet login window isn't appearing anywhere unless one
does an ALT/TAB when Writelog loads.  This bug I've seen for some time.
Would like to see that automated completely as we use a telnet server
(VE7CC) on another machine and would rather not have to log them in each
and every time.

Dale  VE7GL

http://ve7gl.reboot.bc.ca
ve7gl AT rac.ca