Re: [WriteLog] Clearing RIT in ICOM PRO II/III

To: Don Hill AA5AU <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Clearing RIT in ICOM PRO II/III
From: Ron Stordahl <ron.stordahl@digikey.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:28:49 -0600
Also missing from the Pro II and III as well as the top end 7800 is the ability to sense the current status of split and dual watch. I and many others have been in contact with ICOM over several years on this topic. The USA branch fully understands the need and has conveyed this time and time again to Japan, but to no avail. The Yaesu, Kenwood, TenTec and others have had these features for years. In view of the otherwise excellent performance of these ICOM radios the lack of this fundamental interface capability is very perplexing.

Ron, N5IN

Don Hill AA5AU wrote:

There is no command to clear the RIT for the PRO III.  It's not possible as far
as I know or have experienced.  Fortunately, when it's turned on, it's shown
well on the display.  But I do miss having the %O command to clear the RIT when
I use my Kenwood radios.

Not having a command to clear the RIT in the PRO III ranks second only to the
lack of a command for PTT.

IMHO, these are things that need to be changed by Icom to enhance their already
great line of Amateur HF transceivers.

I was lucky enough to be asked to evaluate the PRO III - in fact, two of them in
SO2R RTTY configuration.  Not only do they work great in RTTY, I have found
great pleasure working CW with the PRO III.

It is the best radio I've ever operated in over 33 years of being a ham.  The
more I use them, the more I love them.  The receiver is the best I've heard.
And the bells & whistles only add to an already excellent transceiver.  I will
be selling off a whole inventory of used equipment in order to purchase at least
one of the two loaners I have.  This list includes a pair of Icom IC-751A's, a
Yaesu FT757GX/II w/matching power supply, an M2 RC2800P-A rotor and controller
and at least one of my three Kenwood TS-870 transceivers.  My Icom IC-775DSP
already has a buyer.  Look for listings on E-bay soon.

I've started a web page about my experience with the PRO III at:

http://www.rttycontesting.com/icom756proiii/icom_ic756proiii_index.htm

It's still under construction and will be as I experience the radios through
some upcoming RTTY contests like UK RTTY DX, XE RTTY, WPX & NAQP RTTY.  After
NAQP, the radios go back to Icom if I don't purchase them.  Since I just had to
replace my heat pump yesterday and am getting married (which I have to pay for)
in June, looks like the best I'll be able to do is retain one of them.  But I
must have at least one!!!  It's too good to let go.

One more comment about CW... I've always had an ear for CW and always loved it,
but even with the low sunspots and poor propagation, CW signals can be made to
"pop out" of the noise with the adjustable DSP Noise Reduction function - I've
never heard anything like it.

Sorry for the ramblin' but I feel strongly about this product and I am not being
paid anything by Icom.  I do appreciate their offer to evaluate their product.
It was a good move on their part.

Let's hope they include computer commands for PTT and RIT in future offerings.

73, Don AA5AU

-----Original Message----- From: writelog-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:writelog-bounces@contesting.com] On Behalf Of Ken Widelitz Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 7:38 PM To: Writelog@Contesting. Com Subject: [WriteLog] Clearing RIT in ICOM PRO II/III

About a year ago there was a thread that the RIT couldn't be cleared using WL in
the Icom PRO II. Was there ever a fix for that? Is it different in the PRO III?

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT