[WriteLog] Voice-Automation Enhancements

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Voice-Automation Enhancements
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 23:07:12 -0800
Yeah...I'm still on the old "crusade" here, because IMHO, it *is* the future of voice-automation contesting.

W1VE's recent voice-synthesizer efforts have triggered some new insights and WL enhancement needs to make this stuff all work for maximum QSOs per hour with .wav files, and provide the flexibility needed to deal with real world contest situations. Unlike CW, it's a bit more complex in terms of needs but all doable.

I need to dig deeper into the nitty-gritty of the synthesizer stuff Gerry is doing, but for those who want to continue to use their own voices and self-generated .wav files, here's my latest take on what's needed for more efficiency and effectiveness.

Wayne thankfully gave us 20 SSB message fields to work with now which has been great! But to do the more ethereal stuff, we need 10 more (for contests with lengthy exchanges & components like SS). Here's why.

To effectively use voice-automation in SS (IMHO), we need 20 SSB message fields alone to handle the "repeat" related scenarios which will always happen during a contest:

Examples of when the other station asks for a repeat of one exchange component, you need the following capabilities;

1.   <mynum.wav>  - FAST Delivery
2.   <mynum.wav>  - SLOW Delivery
3.   <myprec.wav> - FAST Delivery
4.   <myprec.wav> - SLOW Delivery
5.   <mycall.wav> - FAST Delivery
6.   <mycall.wav> - SLOW Delivery
7.   <mychk.wav> - FAST Delivery
8.   <mychk.wav> - SLOW Delivery
9.   <mysec.wav> - FAST Delivery
10.  <mysec.wav> - SLOW Delivery

Remember, extra QSOs can be had in SS from the "Casual Contesters" & "Pig Farmers" on the bands, and they generally do NOT speak "Fast" ;-)

Examples of when you need to ask the other station to repeat one exchange component, you need the following capabilities:

1.   <urnum.wav>  - FAST Delivery
2.   <urnum.wav>  - SLOW Delivery
3.   <urprec.wav> - FAST Delivery
4.   <urprec.wav> - SLOW Delivery
5.   <urcall.wav> - FAST Delivery
6.   <urcall.wav> - SLOW Delivery
7.   <urchk.wav> - FAST Delivery
8.   <urchk.wav> - SLOW Delivery
9.   <ursec.wav> - FAST Delivery
10.  <ursec.wav> - SLOW Delivery

When it comes to dealing with all the various flavors of .wav files...ESPECIALLY if you want to edit & replace any, IMHO it is absolutely critical to have a more organized and efficient filing system (a/k/a Sub-Directory classes) to deal with all this stuff. For those of us embarking upon the pre-recording of thousands of fullcallsign.wav files, having to scroll through umpteen callsigns when you want to make changes to the relatively few general/generic message .wav files would be a pain-in-the-butt, if not a nightmare ;-(

Therefore, I would like to suggest the several new enhancement(s) to where WriteLog looks for .wav files, and HOW WriteLog deals with Callsigns, because this will not only simplify the management of .wav files, but yield the requisite flexibility. Hopefully, 'yal can follow the logic. "%C" by itself just won't cut the mustard to do what the future of voice automation contesting requires.

IMHO, we need 7 sub-directories for .wav files (including 3 reserved "Placeholders" for future uses...perhaps involving synthesized .wav file generations on-the-fly or .wav file related things we don't even know about yet but would like to implement ASAP when we do). And, 11 variations of Callsign command logic (including 3 reserved "Placeholders"):

%C_GW = Sub-Dir: "gw" = General .wav files (tnx.wav, cq.wav, etc.)

%C_CF = Sub-Dir: "cf" = Character .wav files [alpha/numeric] - FAST

%C_CS = Sub-Dir: "cs" = Character .wav files [alpha/numeric] - SLOW

%C_PF = Sub-Dir: "pf" = Phonetic .wav files - FAST

%C_PS = Sub-Dir: "ps" = Phonetic .wav files - SLOW

%C_FCF = Sub-Dir: "fcf" = fullcallsign.wav files - FAST

%C_FCS = Sub-Dir: "fcs" = fullcallsign.wav files - SLOW

%C_XPF = Sub-Dir: "pf" = Prefix .wav files [front-end letters + number(s)] only - FAST

%C_XPS = Sub-Dir: "ps" = Prefix .wav files [front-end letters + number(s)] only - SLOW

%C_XSF = Sub-Dir: "pf" = Suffix .wav files [back-end letter(s)] only - FAST

%C_XSS = Sub-Dir: "ps" = Suffix .wav files [back-end letter(s)] only - SLOW

======

Did someone say "7/11"? The above "Prefix" & "Suffix" callsign logic should be self-explanatory, and the "Phonetic" files are accessed from the pf (Phonetic FAST) & ps (Phonetic SLOW) sub-directories.

Example "Prefix" & "Suffix" Uses For Other-Station Callsign = W5XD

%C_XPF = Prefix Only: <isthat.wav><%C_XPF> = "Is that Whiskey Five?" (FAST)

%C_XSS = Suffix Only: <%C_XSS><isthatright.wav> = "X-Ray Delta...Is that right?" (SLOW)

%C_XPF = Prefix Only: <whosthe.wav><%C_XPF> = "Who's the Whiskey Five?" (FAST)

%C_XSS = Suffix Only: <whosthe.wav><%C_XSS> = "Who's the X-Ray Delta?" (SLOW)

======

So you may be wondering how many CTRL + Somekey, SHIFT + Somekey, ALT + Somekey combinations you will have to memorize to make all this happen (on top of all the other function messages)? Absolutely NONE !!!

All keystroke combinations can be reduced to ONE BUTTON operation using X-Keys Sticks or Desktop (Keypads). These can be programmed independently of WriteLog. The USB versions of the X-Sticks can be programmed in a special "template" which is then downloaded to the X-Stick. If you want to change button functions for different contests, you just change the (computer) template (or open it up and download it). Templates can be saved for re-use. I mean, this is so very, very cool, folks. I've done it and it works!

You can also arm yourself with multiple X-Sticks (like a separate one for each major contest you operate), and just swap 'em out from the USB port. Start saving your pennies. Remember, this can be ONE BUTTON operation.

For those who haven't seen what these X-Keys devices are yet, go to: http://www.k6vva.com and look at the two rows of colored buttons mounted at an angle above the mini-keyboard (Ooops...that's TRlog on the screen :-) I use PS/2 version of X-Keys stuff with TR on CW. I plan to add a 3rd X-Stick row, which will be like having a 48 button voice-keyer right at my fingertips on-the-keyboard... but everything done via WriteLog SSB message commands. See why yet another 10 SSB message lines are needed?

I'm sure a few more things will come to mind, but this should be enough for Wayne to digest at the moment :-)

73...

Rick, K6VVA