Re: [WriteLog] Writelog SSB message setup

To: "Writelog@Contesting. Com" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Writelog SSB message setup
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 22:44:52 -0800
Hi Bob,

My mic (Heil HC4) is always plugged into the mic in on the soundcard.
The soundcard line outs (along with every other audio line, including
the 4 inputs and 2 outputs of a 4 channel mixer) go to a patch panel.
This enables me to patch any audio out to any audio in and provide
mixing and level control as desired using the 4 channel mixer.

So, my mic goes through the sound card and the patch panel to the Patch
input on my MkV (which is essentially in parallel with the MkV Mic
input).  It doesn't go through the 4 ch mixer.  I use the soundcard
mixer software for the mic level adjustment.  It takes some fiddling to
get the level right for the MkV and not have the VOX so sensitive that
it trips every time you hit a key on the keyboard.

This can make for a long mic lead (20 ft in my case) so you might need
to put some ferrites on it to get rid of RF feedback.

For RTTY (AFSK) I patch the soundcard line out to the Packet input on
the MkV.  I have isolation transformers mounted on the patch panel, so I
can put them in line if I want to.  Once again, I use the soundcard
mixer software for Tx level control.

All Rx audio output lines (Main and Sub Rx on the MkV, old 75A4 Rx on
another antenna and 706 on another antenna) are patched into the 4 ch
mixer.  One of the mixer output channels is patched into a soundcard
line in to use the soundcard based TNC (RITTY) and the other is patched
into the PK-232 TNC.  This gives me hardware control of the TNC input
levels which makes it easy to set the levels for good printing (almost
right down to the noise level).

This is probably more answer than you wanted but I got carried away.

Hope this helps.

73 de Jim Smith   VE7FO