[WriteLog] PTT problem with Icom 756proIII

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] PTT problem with Icom 756proIII
From: Marc Ressler <marc.ressler@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 22:06:11 -0500
Pete,

There is a lockup problem on transmit related to trying to drive the icom CI-V
interface for everything if you have an additional serial interface on
another comm port. I don't know which "PTT" you selected, but here is
something I have that works with both Logger32 (running PSK and MMTTY) and
Writelog. This requires TWO serial ports. One is dedicated to rig control,
and the other does PTT, CW, and supports FSK.

My rig control is through a modified CT-17 that I added CW keying to (but
DO NOT use). The other port control is through a modified Buxcomm Rascal
that supports CW, PTT, FSK, and provides the audio interfacing for PSK,
RTTY, and computer Voice Keyer ops.

To get this to work you must check the box "All mode PTT on CW port RTS".
If this box is not checked, and the interface is connected, the rig gets
keyed all the time. (DO NOT try to set the ports control to try and support
two serial ports for the same rig - this will lock your rig into transmit
and the only thing that will stop it is powering down the rig and/or
restarting the computer). You can select CW PTT by command for the newer
Icom rigs. However, since the transmit and receive data line is shared, the
most reliable way to make this work is to select SYNC under the CommPTT box
for the rig. You will also find that performance will be much better if you
go into the 756 "OTHERS" menu and set CI-V TRANSCEIVE to OFF (this is
wayyy  down the list). NOTE: some programs (but NOT any of the ones
mentioned above) rely on CI-V TRANSCEIVE "ON" to work at all, and some AUTO
speed sense programs use this as well. To get past the speed sensing
problem, set the rig and Writelog baudrates to 19200 (unless your computer
can keep up with that - then select a slower speed for both).

The correct hex addresses for Icom 756 rigs are:
756             - 50
756 Pro         - 5C
756 Pro II      - 64

There is no support for the Pro III yet, so one of these should do, but the
best bet would be to use the Pro II, as the available features are most
likely to be compatible If you only have this working with hex 50, you may
be running an older version of the WriteLog (rig control info used to be in
the INI file, it is now in a DLL - see the May 22 2002 for info on how
things were changed then to support the Pro II when it was new).

> > Hi, I am new to this reflector so sorry if this has been asked before, I
> > have looked through the archives and not found it.
> > I have a 756 proIII I selected on the Ports 756proII ticked the PTT box,
>rig
> > control works fine showing frequency and mode, but the ptt puts the rig
>onto
> > transmit all the time. I have tried both DTR and RTS, RTS keeps the line
> > high even when WL is closed down.
> > I am using a 4n23 optoisolater and the set-up works fine with Logger and
> > MMTTY stand alone. BTW the rig will only talk to the computer when the
> > address on the rig is set to 50h, not other address that have been quoted.
> > Also how do I make the rig key for FSK? once I get the ptt sorted. Thanks
>in
> > anticipation, 73 Pete

MarC, K3NCO
marc.ressler@verizon.net